The Hartmut Hoffmann-Berling International Graduate School of Molecular & Cellular Biology (HBIGS) at Heidelberg University offers up to 12 three-year PhD fellowships in diverse laboratories to highly motivated and skilled students from Germany and abroad.
HBIGS offers a structured PhD program with practical training courses on cutting-edge technologies, courses in transferable skills, international retreats & summer schools and professional career advice.
The vision of the Graduate School is to attract the best and brightest doctoral researchers from around the world to pursue doctoral studies at Heidelberg University by offering excellent research opportunities and comprehensive academic and complementary training in a vibrant and stimulating scientific environment.
The Ruprecht-Karls-University Heidelberg is a public research university located in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Founded in 1386, it is the oldest university in contemporary Germany and 5th oldest in Central Europe.
Course Level: Fellowships are available for undertaking PhD programme.
Study Subject: Fellowships are offered in diverse fields to help students in upgrading their education.
List of Subjects: Molecular Biosciences, Molecular Biotechnology, or Biochemistry
Scholarship Award: A PhD work contract according to TV-L E13 (65%, matching funds provided by the host lab) is offered to fellowship holders who start a PhD project in the lab of a principal investigator of the HBIGS active faculty. Successful applicants are offered HBIGS membership without further assessment after completion of the MSc program.
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility: Applicants who
- Did not obtain their final degree at Heidelberg University or
- Obtained their final degree at Heidelberg University (except MSc Fast track)
and who are already accepted as prospective PhD student in the research group of an HBIGS facultymember. Diploma students from Heidelberg university who will continue their PhD project in the lab where the Diploma thesis was done are requested to submit their application to HBIGS before the date of graduation (the date of graduation is given on the Diploma certificate).
Nationality: German or international applicants can apply for these PhD fellowships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: The minimal requirement for admission into the Graduate School is a university degree from an internationally accredited university that would allow the applicant to enter a PhD program in biosciences in the country where the degree was awarded. Depending on the country, this may be a Masters, Licentiate or Diploma in Natural Sciences or equivalent.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: If applicants native language is not English, proof of an adequate command of spoken and written English is required for admission.
Proof can be provided either by
- A TOEFL certificate Score requirements: Paper based: 570+, Computer based: 230+, Internet based: 90+),
- An IELTS certificate (Score requirements: band 6.5+) ,
- A Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE ).
- Applicants who took part in an undergraduate program in which the language of instruction was English or German are asked to provide a suitable certificate from their Faculty or supervisors.
- Applicants who received an MSc degree from a university of an EU member state or an EU affiliated member state are exempted from providing an English language certificate. Their proficiency in English will be evaluated during the interview process. For technical reasons these applicants are requested to write and upload a statement that they will provide proof of their language proficiency during the interview.
- Applicants who are enrolled in the MSc programs Molecular Biosciences or Molecular Biotechnology at Heidelberg University do not have to provide proof of language proficiency. For technical reasons these applicants are requested to write and upload a statement that they are exempted from providing proof of language proficiency.
How to Apply: Applications should be submitted online. Please note: Only applications submitted via the online application system will be considered. Applications sent by e-mail or mail will be discarded without further notice.
Application Deadline: Completed applications must be submitted by 31st October 2016.