The Integrated Research Training Group AquaDiva invites applications for a Doctoral Researcher Position (m/f; Ref. No. ufz11/2017) at the Bioavailability Group, Department of Environmental Microbiology, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research – UFZ.
The CRC AquaDiva will focus on the important roles of water (Aqua) and biodiversity (Diva) for shaping the structure, properties and functions of the subsurface, the part of the Earth’s Critical Zone (CZ) that begins below the highest density of plant roots (~0.3 meters) and extends down into the first aquifers (~100 meters).
Course Level: Positions are available for pursuing PhD programme.
Study Subject: Positions in different research areas, such as: ecology, (environmental) microbiology, molecular biology/ecology, virology, biotechnology, chemical biology, biochemistry, biogeochemistry, geo-ecology, geomorphology, geochemistry, geology, hydrology, hydrogeology, soil science, geophysics, physics, chemistry, mathematics, or computer science
- A doctoral researcher position (remuneration in accordance with the TVöD public?sector pay grade 13, 65%) with funding from Sep 1, 2017, until Jun 30, 2021, as well as generous research funding with the possibility of a three? months research stay abroad.
- Opportunity for research on an innovative and unique Critical Zone research platform.
- A comprehensive mentoring program with supervision by a team of advisors.
- A communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top?level research facilities and training program, including participation in international and national conferences and workshops.
- The place of work is Leipzig, Germany, a big and lively city with a vibrant cultural scene, dynamic business activities, and successful scientific centers of innovation, such as UFZ and iDiv, around the Leipzig University.
Number of Scholarships: There are 15 PhD positions available.
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
- A Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Natural, Life, or Environmental Sciences (e.g., environmental microbiology, biotechnology, molecular biology, or related disciplines); candidates expected to earn their degree by September 2017 are welcome to apply.
- Solid knowledge of microbial ecology; additional skills in bio?physics, virology, or field experiments are a plus.
- Excellent technical skills in microbiological methods, organizing and running lab experiments, standard (molecular) biology tools, statistics.
- Enthusiasm to play an active role in the interdisciplinary research team of AquaDiva.
- Highly motivated and creative personalities, with an interest to shape their own thesis project.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English.
Nationality: German students are eligible to apply.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have master’s degree or equivalent.
How to Apply: Applications are submitted exclusively via an online application tool.
1) Check if…
- The Collaborative Research Center 1076 AquaDiva with its Integrated Research Training Group AquaDiva is the right choice for you: Learn more about the CRC and its field site or about the curriculum of the PhD program.
- You fulfill the requirements: Applications are open to canditates from all countries with a Master’s degree (or similar; for PhD positions) or a doctoral degree (for postdoc positions) in one of AquaDiva’s research disciplines (requirements for the individual projects are given in the respective project details). Excellent written and oral skills in English are expected.
2) Online submission of your application here (online application tool of the Jena School for Microbial Communication, JSMC; website is safe despite possible security warnings)
- Create an account using a valid e-mail address
- Log into your account and follow the application process: personal data, academic education and further qualification, employment, language skills, references, upload of files, such as cover letter/CV/publication list/credentials/reference letters if available
- Please also submit your PhD certificate if you apply for a Postdoc position!
- Submit your application until the application deadline on June 16, 2017 (June 25th for project 127/2017) – once submitted, the application cannot be changed anymore
3) Phone/skype interviews of pre-selected candidates
4) For most PhD positions and specific postdoc positions: recruitment symposium in Jena, Germany, August 9+10, 2017
Application Deadline: The application deadline is June 16, 2017.