Autonomous University of Madrid offers one PhD position in the field of in Theoretical Atomic and Molecular Physics. Applicants applying for the position must have a bachelor degree in physics or chemistry (3 years) and a post graduate specialization degree (e.g. MSc) in physics or theoretical chemistry. Applications are to be submitted till April 30th 2013.
Study Subject(s): The position is provided to study Theoretical Atomic and Molecular Physics.
Course Level: This position is for pursuing PhD degree level.
Scholarship Provider: Autonomous University of Madrid
Scholarship can be taken at: Spain
Eligibility: Prospect candidates must have:
1. A Bachelor degree in physics or chemistry (3 years) and a post graduate specialization degree (e.g. MSc) in physics or theoretical chemistry;
2. Good knowledge of at least one programming language (Fortran 90, C, C++, Python, etc.);
3. Excellent knowledge of quantum mechanics, basic electrodynamics, basic atomic and molecular physics;
4. Fluent English;
5. Enthusiasm for learning and commitment to teamwork.
Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: Students of Spain can apply for the position.
Scholarship Description: The Autonomous University of Madrid (UAM) offers a 36-months salaried PhD position (extensible under certain conditions) linked to the ERC Advanced Grant project X-CHEM (XUV/X-ray lasers for ultrafast electronic control in molecules), starting no later than September, 2013.The successful applicant shall develop a research project on “Theoretical Modelling of Laser-Induced Ultrafast Phenomena”, oriented to obtain a PhD diploma, focused on the development of novel computational tools for the solution of the time-dependent Schrödinger equation for molecules under the action of ultra-short pulses from new light sources.Collaborations with the most vibrant research groups in Atomic Molecular and Optical Physics in Europe through exchange programs and attendance to conferences are foreseen. Access to vast technological resources is guaranteed, including the group’s new supercomputer, with more than 1K cores, and access to the European HP Computing Network.
Number of awards offered: One Position is offered.
Duration of award(s): University offers a 36-months salaried position.
What does it cover? Not known
How to Apply: Applicants are kindly requested to check the details about the application procedure at: http://www.xchem.uam.es/xchem/?cat=55
The application form should be downloaded, filled in all its parts and sent (in word format) to firstname.lastname@example.org, before April 30th, 2013, together with the following documents:
1. Copy of Bachelor and Master (if you already have it) degree certificates,
2. Copy of the official transcription of your academic records, which should contain the mark obtained in the different subjects as well as the total one (with the corresponding mark criteria),
3. Concise syllabus of the courses in your record that are pertinent to the position offered (e.g. quantum mechanics; mathematical/numerical methods of physics; atomic, molecular and optical physics; quantum/theoretical chemistry; theoretical physics; etc),
4. A cover letter,
5. An updated curriculum vitae, detailing linguistic skills and IT competences (known operative systems, programming languages, scripting languages, graphical programs, text editors, numerical libraries, etc.), and any other information you may consider relevant,
6. Any additional information that you consider appropriate to support your application, e.g., attendance to summer schools, awards, possible published papers, samples of code you have written, extra?academic activities, etc.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application closing date is April 30th, 2013.