ACRL 14th National Conference Library School Student Scholarships
To provide opportunities for library school students to participate in an ACRL professional development experience and to learn more about current issues and developments in academic and research libraries.
• Provide students with an active, positive interaction with ACRL which will strengthen their understanding of and interest in academic librarianship
• Provide students with a professional development opportunity that will assist them in building a network of colleagues
• Increase library school students’ participation in ACRL professional development activities
• Increase ACRL’s efforts toward being a more inclusive organization
Ten scholarships will be awarded. Each will include complimentary registration (a $95 value), and $600 stipend to attend the ACRL 2009 14th National Conference, March 12-15, 2009 in Seattle, WA. The total value of each scholarship is $695.
Scholarship applicants must be:
• Enrolled full-time at an ALA-accredited institution (full-time status as defined by your institution)
• Recommended by the library school dean or director
To be considered, applicants must:
1. Obtain a recommendation from their dean/director in electronic form that can be cut and pasted into the application (not to exceed 300 words).
2. Complete the online Library School Student Scholarship Application. The application includes a brief summary of the applicant’s progress towards their degree and as well as a description of how attendance at the ACRL National Conference will support their long-term goals (not to exceed 300 words).
NOTE: Only electronic submissions will be considered. The form does not allow submissions to be saved and resumed. Prepare your answers and have your dean/director’s recommendation obtained before starting the online application. Please double-check all your answers before pushing the ‘submit’ button.
Deadline for Submission
The application deadline is December 5, 2008.
The award committee consists of members of the National Conference Scholarship Subcommittee. The committee will strive to achieve both diversity and balance among scholarship recipients based on the following factors:
• Responses to open-ended questions on the application form
• Dean/director recommendation
• Educational experience, background and geographical diversity
In awarding the scholarships, special attention will be given to students from diverse backgrounds. Preference will be given to students who are current members of ALA and ACRL and to students whose graduate programs provide matching financial support for their attendance. Preference will also be given to individuals who have not previously been awarded an ACRL scholarship. Individuals may only receive one ACRL scholarship per professional development event.
Scholarship applicants will be notified via e-mail by January 30, 2009. Applicants should not register for the ACRL 14th National Conference until notified of their status to avoid the need for refunds. The discounted early-bird registration rate will be extended for all scholarship applicants until February 6, 2009 for those that may not receive a scholarship, but still want to attend.
For questions contact Tory Ondrla, ACRL Conference Supervisor at email@example.com.