The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) in association with the Australian Academy of Science has invited applicants for its Postdoctoral Fellowships. The fellowships are available for Australian researchers.
The aim of the fellowships is to support Australian postdoctoral researchers to conduct, under the guidance of their Japanese hosts, cooperative research with leading research groups in universities and other Japanese institutions.
The Australian Academy of Science was founded in 1954 by a group of distinguished Australians, including Australian Fellows of the Royal Society of London.
Course Level: Fellowships are available for postdoctoral researchers.
Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in any field of natural sciences (including technology, engineering and medicine), the humanities and social sciences.
Scholarship Award: Fellowships will cover the following:
- The amounts of the awards indicated below are subject to change-
- A round-trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations).
- A monthly maintenance allowance of ¥362,000.
- A settling-in allowance of ¥200,000.
- Overseas travel accident and sickness insurance coverage.
Number of Scholarships: Not Known
Scholarship can be taken in Japan
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Candidates must be an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident living in Australia at the time of application. (If you were not born in Australia, please provide proof of Australian citizenship or Australian permanent residency).
- Note: Persons of Japanese nationality are not eligible to apply, nor are those of dual nationality if one is Japanese. Also, researchers who have permanent residency in Japan are not eligible.
- Candidates must hold a doctorate degree when the Fellowship goes into effect, which must have been received within six years prior to 2 April 2018 (i.e. awarded on or after 2 April 2012) or be scheduled to receive a doctorate degree before the Fellowship goes into effect.
- Note: If the doctorate degree has not been awarded at the time of application, the PhD thesis needs to have been awarded and a letter is required from the candidate’s Institute stating the date that he/she will officially receive the degree.
- MD (medical doctor) holders without a PhD are not eligible.
- Candidates who have previously been awarded a fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program for Foreign Researchers or a STA Fellowship Program are not eligible.
Nationality: Australian applicants are eligible to apply for the fellowships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a doctorate degree.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via email:
- Applicants must submit following documents with the application form-
- Copy of document confirming Australian citizenship or Australian permanent residency status (for applicants not born in Australia) e.g. Australian Certificate of Citizenship, Australian passport, Australian permanent residency visa or letter of approval for Australian permanent residency visa. Tourist, business or other short-term visas will not be accepted.
- Copy of the candidate’s doctoral degree certificate. If the degree has not yet been awarded, a letter is required from the candidate’s institution stating the date that he/she will officially receive the degree. Note: PhD thesis needs to have been submitted at the time of application.
- Copy of the signed letter of acceptance/invitation from the candidate’s prospective host researcher in Japan, stating that he/she accepts the candidate at his/her institution.
- Copy of the signed referee report form(DOCX, 20KB) or signed a letter of reference/recommendation from the candidate’s current or previous supervisor (not from his/her prospective host researcher in Japan)—(see Notes for referees (PDF, 92KB)). Only one referee report is required.
- The names, address and contact details of two additional referees (Australian) who may be contacted by the selection committee if further information is required. Additional referees should not be from the applicant’s department or division or from the host institution. The details of the two additional referees can be submitted on a separate page. Do not include the details in an email.
- Note: All documents must be in English.
- Send all documents, including a PDF of the original application form, to grants-at-science.org.au by 9 am (AEDT) Monday 30 October 2017.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is 9 am (AEDT) October 30, 2017.