The University of Sheffield is offering free online course on Literature of the English Country House. This course is suitable for anyone who enjoys reading and discussing literary texts in English.
In this six week course, applicants will learn how to build your own authoritative interpretation of these texts. This course will start on February 5, 2018.
Course At Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Literature of the English Country House
Institution: University of Sheffield and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on February 5, 2018
The University of Sheffield is one of the world’s top 100 universities with a reputation for teaching and research excellence.
About This Course
Investigate and discuss the role and representation of the English country house in literature, and learn how to build your own authoritative interpretation of these texts.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Demonstrate ‘close reading’ skills as the basis for your own literary interpretation
- Discuss the wide variety of ways country house literature has been composed, consumed and received over the centuries
- Engage with extracts from novels, poetry and drama from well-know authors as well as lesser known forms of writing from less familiar authors
- Investigate the role and representation of the English country house in literature
- Build your own literary interpretation of literature
- Explore literature in it’s original form and the context within which it was first written
This course is suitable for anyone who enjoys reading and discussing literary texts in English. It may also help those who are preparing for further study in English Literature, as it gives a good foundation in analyzing texts. If you are already at degree level in English or another subject, this course could be a good supplement to your studies. Ultimately though, this course is suitable for anyone who loves country houses and great literature.
Susan Fitzmaurice, Amber Regis and Adam J Smith
Working in the School of English at the University of Sheffield, we all have a fascination with English country houses, a love of great literature and a desire to share our knowledge with you.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).