Arizona State University is offering free online course on Western Civilization: Ancient and Medieval Europe. This course will provide a general outline of European history from Ancient times through 1500 AD, covering a variety of European historical periods and cultures, including Greek, Roman, Byzantine, Celtic, Frankish and others.
In this eight-week course, applicants will learn about the origins and development of Western societies and institutions from the ancient world through the middle Ages in this credit-eligible course. This course will start on August 14, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 18 hours pw
Institution: Arizona State University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on August 14, 2017
Arizona State University has developed a new model for the American Research University, creating an institution that is committed to excellence, access and impact.
About This Course
This course satisfies the Social-Behavioral Sciences (SB) and Historical Awareness (H) general studies requirements at Arizona State University.
Why Take This Course?
This course may satisfy a general education requirement at other institutions; however, it is strongly encouraged that you consult with your institution of choice to determine how these credits will be applied to their degree requirements prior to transferring the credit.
- Think critically about the development of people politically, socially, and economically
- Evaluate evolution of political systems and their contribution to western society
- Understand the changing social role of religion in European society
- Explore the changing relations between Ancient and Medieval Europe and the world beyond
Dr. Ian Frederick Moulton
Ian Frederick Moulton is Professor of English in the College of Letters and Sciences at Arizona State University. He is a cultural historian and literary scholar who has published widely on the representation of gender and sexuality in early modern European literature. Professor Moulton was born in London, UK, raised in Winnipeg, Canada, and received his Ph.D.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)