The University of British Columbia is offering free online course on Introduction to Corporate Finance.This course will provide a general understanding of financial valuation, quantitative analysis of individual and corporate financing, and savings/investment decisions.
Students will learn how to make better corporate investment decisions to create value for your business. This course will start on February 20, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6-7 weeks
Effort: 3-5 hours pw
Subject: Economics & Finance
Institution: University of British Columbia and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $150
Session: Course Starts on February 20, 2018
The University of British Columbia is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the 40 best universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s West Coast spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo. Its entrepreneurial perspective encourages students, staff and faculty to challenge convention, lead discovery and explore new ways of learning.
About This Course
You will learn how to evaluate what an asset is worth, and how a variety of tools can help investors and managers make investment decisions. These tools include:
Models such as the Gordon Growth Model and the 2-stage Dividend Discount Model;
Programs such as Excel and a financial calculator;
Formulas such as annuity, perpetuity, and growing perpetuity.
Why Take This Course?
We will also discuss risk and return characteristics of different marketable securities, consider what it means for an investment to be risky, and examine methods of valuing assets.
- How to evaluate the financial benefits associated with investment decisions
- How investors value streams of cash flows that arrive at different times
- What an asset is ‘worth’ and what tools you need to make the best investment decision about it
- How firms evaluate and compare capital investment projects
Darren is an adjunct professor in the finance group for the UBC Sauder School of Business. He received his Master of Accounting & Financial Management at Keller Graduate School of Management if DeVry University.
- Basic mathematics concepts
- Candidates interested in pursuing the MicroMasters program in Business Fundamentals are advised to complete BUS1x Business Foundations and BUS2x Business Communications before undertaking this course
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)