Trinity College is offering free online course on Data Visualization. This introductory course in data visualization begins with the basics. No prior experience is required.
This course is ideal for non-profit organizations, small business owners, local governments, journalists, academics, or anyone who wants to tell their story and show the data. The course will start on February 28, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3 hours pw
Subject: Data Analysis & Statistics
Institution: Trinity College and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on February 28, 2017
Founded in Hartford, Connecticut, in 1823, Trinity College (www.trincoll.edu) is an independent, nonsectarian liberal arts college with more than 2,200 students from 44 states and 62 countries. It is home to the eighth-oldest chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in the United States. The faculty and alumni include recipients of the Pulitzer Prize, the MacArthur award, Guggenheims, Rockefellers, and other national academic awards. Trinity students integrate meaningful academic and leadership experience at all levels on the College’s celebrated campus, in the capital city of Hartford, and in communities all over the world.
About This Course
Tell your story and show it with data. In this data visualization course, you will learn how to design interactive charts and customized maps for your website.
We’ll begin with easy-to-learn tools, then gradually work our way up to editing open-source code templates with GitHub. Together, we’ll follow step-by-step tutorials with video screencasts, and share our work for feedback on the web. Real-world examples are drawn from Trinity College students working with community organizations in the City of Hartford, Connecticut.
This course is ideal for non-profit organizations, small business owners, local governments, journalists, academics, or anyone who wants to tell their story and show the data.
- Choose the right tools to tell your story
- Design and embed charts on your website
- Share, edit, and host code templates
- How to build (and tell lies with) maps
- Convert and reshape your spatial data
Jack is Professor of Educational Studies at Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut, where he and his students partner with city organizations to help tell their stories with data visualizations.
Stacy is a Student Technology Assistant at Trinity College, where she is a prospective Engineering major in the Class of 2019.
Dave is an Instructional Technologist who specializes in the social sciences at Trinity College.
This introductory course in data visualization begins with the basics. No prior experience is required.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)