Duke University is offering free online course on English Composition. This course is open to any student interested in improving their writing.
“English Composition I” provides an introduction to and foundation for the academic reading and writing characteristic of college. The course will start on March 26, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Subject: English Composition
Institution: Duke University and Coursera
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course Starts on March 26, 2018
Duke University has about 13,000 undergraduate and graduate students and a world-class faculty helping to expand the frontiers of knowledge. The university has a strong commitment to applying knowledge in service to society, both near its North Carolina campus and around the world.
About This Course
You will gain a foundation for college-level writing valuable for nearly any field. Students will learn how to read carefully, write effective arguments, understand the writing process, engage with others’ ideas, cite accurately, and craft powerful prose.
Why Take This Course?
“English Composition I” provides an introduction to and foundation for the academic reading and writing characteristic of college. Attending explicitly to disciplinary context, students learn to read critically, write effective arguments, understand the writing process, and craft powerful prose that meets readers’ expectations.
- Summarize, analyze, question, and evaluate written and visual texts
- Argue and support a position
- Recognize audience and disciplinary expectations
- Identify and use the stages of the writing process
- Identify characteristics of effective prose
- Apply proper citation practices
- Discuss applying your writing knowledge to other writing occasions
This course is open to any student interested in improving their writing. The content is equivalent to a semester of a first-year writing course. Students should have basic English proficiency and exposure to secondary-level (high-school level) English or composition.
Denise Comer, Assistant Professor of the Practice; Director of First-Year Writing
Thompson Writing Program
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create a Coursera account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.