Delft University of Technology is currently offering Engineering course online at edX. The MOOC,’Engineering: Building with Nature’ is aimed at students having interest in ecosystem-based engineering.
This course is designed to explore the interface between hydraulic engineering, nature and society. It helps in learning how to use ecological and engineering design principles to develop more effective and sustainable hydraulic infrastructure.
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 3-5 hours/week
Institution: Delft University of Technology
Price: Free. Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Starts on February 29, 2017
Delft University of Technology has teamed up with edX to bring this leadership course for the engineering participants. Delft University of technology is the largest and oldest technological university in the Netherlands.
edX is a world’s free online course provider and learning platform that provides you the best MOOCs from world’s large universities and helps you create effective online teaching and learning experiences in a collaborative, private environment.
About This Course
If applicants are interested in the concept of building with nature, then this is the engineering course for them. This course explores the use of natural materials and ecological processes in achieving effective and sustainable hydraulic infrastructural designs. Students will learn the Building with Nature ecosystem-based design concept and its applications in water and coastal systems. During the course, applicants will be presented with a range of case studies to deepen your knowledge of ecological and engineering principles.
Why Take This Course?
Students will learn from leading Dutch engineers and environmental scientists who see the Building with Nature integrated design approach as fundamental to a new generation of engineers and ecologists.
Applicants will receive an official credential from the institution and signed by the instructor. The certificate verifies your achievement and can be used to highlight skills on your resume or LinkedIn profile. This course will be offered with Video Transcripts. Applicants can get a personalized, digital and printed certificate.
The course materials of this course are Copyright Delft University of Technology and are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC-BY-NC-SA) 4.0 International License.
After completing this course students will learn:
- Basic engineering design principles, and basic ecological principles, relevant to the Building with Nature approach
- How to assess which principles are applied in several case studies and so form your own opinion on whether the hydraulic infrastructure is meeting engineering, ecosystem and societal goals
- How to apply your new knowledge in assessing the potential for Building with Nature solutions where you live
Week 1: Introduction to Building with Nature.
Week 2: Engineering design principles
Week 3: Ecological design principles
Week 4: Integrated design
Week 5: Integrated design review
Since 2001 Stive is a professor of Coastal Engineering at Delft University of Technology and he is the scientific director of the Water Research Centre Delft since 2003.
Jill Slinger has worked as an environmental scientist and policy advisor in the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research of South Africa; as an international water and coastal specialist at Resource Analysis in the Netherlands and since 2003 in long-term decision making, integrated design and simulation at the Delft University of Technology.
None. Analytical ability and basic physics will be helpful, as are an affinity for coastal and water systems and an interest in ecosystem-based engineering.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once you sign up for a course and activate your account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in your email address and edX password. This will take you to your dashboard, with access to each of your active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on your dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)