University System of Maryland is offering free online course on Formal Software Verification. In this course, part of the Software Testing and Verification Micro Masters program, you will learn how to perform these techniques manually and by using automation tools.
In this eight week course, applicants will learn software quality techniques beyond just running test cases. This course will start on October 23, 2017.
Course At Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 8-10 hours/week
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: University System of Maryland, UMUC and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $249
Session: Course starts on October 23, 2017
University System of Maryland
The USM consists of three Research Universities, three Historically Black Institutions, four Traditional Comprehensive Institutions, two Regional Education Centers; one Specialized Research institution, and one “Virtual” Institution specializing in online and distance education, and a system office.
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) specializes in educating busy professionals like you. We are a public state university offering career-relevant, affordable education that fits your life.
About This Course
Want to gain software quality skills used in mission critical systems?
Modeling checking, symbolic execution and formal methods are techniques that are used for mission critical systems where human life depends upon the system working correctly.
Why Take This Course?
The concepts from this course can be applied to any programming language and testing software. This course will use Java, Java Path Finder and Java Modeling Language, however, for examples and assignments.
- Use Model Checking to evaluate software quality through model generation
- Use Symbolic Execution to evaluate software for defects
- Use Formal Methods to create proofs of software implementations
Basic programming skills.
Dr. Michael Scott Brown
Dr. Brown is the Program Chair of the Software Engineering Master’s at University of Maryland University College. He received his Bachelor’s in Mathematics and Computer Science from Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Renata Rand McFadden
Dr. McFadden holds a Bachelor’s in Computer Science from St. John’s University. She holds 3 Master’s from Hampton University, Marist College and Walden University.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the orghomepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)