Imperial College Business School is offering free online course on Accounting Essentials for MBA Success. This course assumes no prior knowledge of accounting.
The course is an introduction to the financial and management accounting skills needed to succeed in both MBA study and in business. The course will start on October 17, 2016.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours per week
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: Imperial College Business School and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $79
Session: Course starts on October 17, 2016
As part of Imperial College London, a global leader in science and technology, Imperial College Business School drives business advantage through the fusion of business and technology and an entrepreneurial mindset. We combine innovative thinking and insight with new technology to develop practical solutions to real world issues, benefiting business and improving society.
About This Course
Want to study for an MBA but unsure of your basic accounting skills? Paving the way for MBA study, this course will teach you the foundational accounting skills needed to achieve success on an MBA program and in business generally.
You will be introduced to the principles of accounting and learn about the basic financial statements, including the income statement, the balance sheet and the cash flow statement. You will learn how to read and interpret this information in order to make informed business decisions.
This course assumes no prior knowledge of accounting. Concepts are explained clearly and regular activities offer you the opportunity to practice your skills and improve your confidence.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- How to create and interpret the three basic accounting statements – the income statement, the balance sheet and the cash flow statement
- How management accounting differs from financial accounting
- How financial information is used on an MBA program and in business to make informed decisions
Secondary school (high school) maths
Senior Teaching Fellow (Imperial College Business School)
Teaching Assistant (Imperial College Business School)
- Accounting statements and principles
- The income statement
- The balance sheet
- The cash flow statement
- Short-term decision making
- Long-term decision making
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- edX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org home page and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)