University of Queensland (UQ) is offering free online course on Adaptive Leadership in Development.This course will teach you the skills to tackle complex problems in developing – and developed – countries.
Gain the skills to be an adaptive leader in development and learn how to uncover local solutions to complex problems in developing countries. The course will start on June 6, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 10 weeks
Effort: 10-12 hours pw
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: University of Queensland (UQ) and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $15-
Session: Course Starts on June 6, 2017
The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia, is one of the world’s premier teaching and research institutions. Striving for excellence through the creation, preservation, transfer and application of knowledge UQ ranks in the top 50 Universities as measured by the QS World University Rankings. UQ is one of only three Australian members of the global Universitas 21 and a founding member of the Group of Eight (Go8) universities. UQ is recognised for its world standard specialised research and teaching excellence; having won more Australian Awards for University Teaching than any other in the country.
About This Course
Being a leader in development means working in complex and challenging contexts. Projects rarely run as planned, and managers need to be flexible and adaptive in their approach.
This course will teach you the skills to tackle complex problems in developing – and developed – countries. You will learn how problems in development contexts are always complex – no matter how simple they may appear at first. You will learn strategies for how to dig deeper into the problem and come up with solutions that address the real issues. You will learn techniques and practical tools for understanding local context, and ways to lead effectively. This course will also expose you to the disconnect between policy and practice.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- To appreciate the fundamental mismatch between policy and practice in development
- To understand the importance of having context, and in finding local solutions to local problems
- Skills in adaptive development practice, in the cycles of experimentation, learning, iteration and adaptation
- To discern strategies to overcome political challenges and broker new collaborations
- To comprehend how to measure progress and manage performance when working adaptively
- To diffuse results from practice, by taking them to scale and influencing policy
Professor and Chair of Development Effectiveness, Institute for Social Science Research,The University of Queensland
Manager (Pacific), International Development,The University of Queensland
Honorary Senior Fellow, Sustainable Minerals Institute,The University of Queensland
Research Manager, Global Health Projects,Trinity College Dublin
Participants should have experience, or a strong interest in working in development. While not compulsory, it is recommended that learners have completed a bachelor degree in a relevant discipline.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the orghomepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)