The University of California, San Diego is offering free online course on Algorithmic Design and Techniques. You will learn basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems, which arise in practical applications such as sorting and searching, divide and conquer greedy algorithms and dynamic programming.
In this six week course, applicants will learn how to design algorithms, solve computational problems and implement solutions. This course will start on February 1, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 8-10 hours pw
Institution: University of California, San Diego and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $150
Session: Course Starts on February 1, 2018
The University of California, San Diego (UC San Diego) is a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public institution that provides opportunity for all. This young university has made its mark regionally, nationally and internationally.
About This Course
This course will cover theories, including:
- How to sort data and how it helps for searching;
- How to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively;
- When it makes sense to proceed greedily;
- How dynamic programming is used in genomic studies.
Why Take This Course?
In this course, part of the Algorithms and Data Structures Micro Masters program, you will learn basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems, which arise in practical applications such as sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms and dynamic programming.
- Essential algorithmic techniques – greedy algorithms, divide and conquer, binary search, sorting, dynamic programming
- Best practices of implementing algorithms
- Ways of testing and debugging programs
Assistant Professor, Computer Science and Engineering & Dept. of Mathematics
UC San Diego
Alexander S. Kulikov
UC San Diego
Chief Data Scientist
Ronald R. Taylor Professor of Computer Science
The University of California, San Diego
UC San Diego
- Basic knowledge of at least one programming language: loops, arrays, stacks, recursion.
- Basic knowledge of mathematics: proof by induction, proof by contradiction.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)