Galileo University is offering free online course on Android App Development for Beginners. This course is designed for students who are new to programming, and want to learn how to develop Android apps.
By the end of the course, you’ll build two simple apps that you can share with your friends. The course will start on March 6, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 8-10 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Galileo University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $200
Session: Course Starts on March 6, 2017 – Self-Paced
Located in Guatemala, Galileo University is a higher education institution, the product of 38 years of constant work and effort of an elite group of academics and professionals, lead by Eduardo Suger Cofiño, Ph.D., founder and President. He has been able to put forward a completely innovative and non-traditional educational approach that Galileo calls “The revolution of education,” which is also impelled by very a clear motto: “To educate is to change visions and transform lives.”
About This Course
This course is designed for students who are new to programming, and want to learn how to develop Android apps. You’ll learn how to create an Android project with Android Studio and run a debuggable version of the app. You’ll also learn some Android architecture and the key principles underlying its design. You will gain an understanding of the processes that are involved in an Android developed application and you will become familiar with Android development tools and user interface. By the end of the course, you’ll build two simple apps that you can share with your friends.
Why Take This Course?
By the end of the course, you’ll build two simple apps that you can share with your friends.
- Identify different techniques to plan, design and prototype your mobile apps before writing any code
- Thoroughly understand the App life cycle and its main components
- Create a graphical user interface (GUI)
- Implement a custom application theme
- Define a RecyclerView item list
- Implement menu-based or drawer navigation
- Integrate code from an external support library
- Schedule a time-sensitive task using alarms
- Schedule a background task using Job Scheduler
- Designing and building a functional Android application
- Debugging Android applications using different tools and plugins
- Setting up and understanding your Android Development Environment
- Register and publishing on Play Store
Adrián Catalán (GDE)
Adrián is an educator, tinkerer and software developer. He’s been in the software engineering industry for over ten years, working as a developer (web/mobile), consultant and project manager.
Lead developer at instacarro.com, a buying car service company based in Brasil, mobile app developer since 2009 and 100% fucused in Android since 2011, extensive experience in the area of research and development to meet needs in emerging markets (Africa and Latin America).
Byron holds a degree in Computer Science from Galileo University, he is very passionate about technology and is very interested on mobile development and videogames design.
- Familiar with object-oriented programming language
- Recommend: Java Fundamentals for Android Development
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)