The University of Queensland (UQ) is offering free online course on to becoming an effective leader. This course will equip aspiring leaders with an understanding of what leadership is and how an individual can develop the skills required to become an effective leader in their organization.
This course will develop your leadership skills as you learn the importance of self-efficacy, social capital, and leadership style. The course will start on May 8, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 10 weeks
Effort: 8-10 hours pw
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: University of Queensland (UQ) and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Session: Course Starts on May 8, 2018
The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia, is one of the world’s premier teaching and research institutions. Striving for excellence through the creation, preservation, transfer and application of knowledge UQ ranks in the top 50 Universities as measured by the QS World University Rankings. UQ is one of only three Australian members of the global Universitas 21 and a founding member of the Group of Eight (Go8) universities. UQ is recognised for its world standard specialised research and teaching excellence; having won more Australian Awards for University Teaching than any other in the country.
About This Course
Strong leadership is regarded as one of the best predictors of organizational success and critical human capital required for career progression in almost every organization. However, leadership is also a highly complex and often misunderstood phenomenon. It‘s hard to define, but we all know good and bad leadership when we see it.
Why Take This Course?
This course will equip aspiring leaders with an understanding of what leadership is and how an individual can develop the skills required to become an effective leader in their organization. Taught by instructors and presenters with decades of business and not-for-profit leadership experience, you will learn the difference between leadership and management, the importance of understanding others and building empathy and relationships, and gain a better understanding of the different leadership styles you may encounter throughout your career.
- What leadership means and how have we come to identify what it comprises.
- Leadership styles and the theories behind them.
- The relationship between power and leadership and how to influence others.
- The role of ethics and values in leadership.
- How to become a credible leader and business steward.
- The importance of followership for leader outcomes.
Terrance Fitzsimmons is a Lecturer in leadership, human resource management and change management with the University of Queensland Business School. He is also a Chartered Accountant with over 30 years of experience. His PhD in Leadership examined successful attributes of CEOs and differing pathways to CEO roles for men and women.
- English writing/reading proficiency (required)
- Some experience in managing people (recommended)
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)