The University of Washington is offering free online course on Building a Cybersecurity Toolkit. The purpose of this course is to give learners insight into these type of characteristics and skills needed for cybersecurity jobs and to provide a realistic outlook on what they really need to add to their “toolkits”.
In this four-week course, applicants will develop a set of skills and characteristics that expand beyond technical proficiency to become a successful cybersecurity professional. This course will start on September 5, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 2-5 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: University of Washington and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $79
Session: Course Starts on September 5, 2017
The University of Washington is one of the preeminent public research universities in the world dedicated to preparing leaders of change, promoters of ideas, and creating a culture of collaboration. The UW is ranked number one among public universities nationally that receive federal research and training funds, and since 1975 has been in the top five for public and private universities.
About This Course
If you own an information asset that’s valuable enough to the right adversary, it’s only a matter of time before there’s a breach. Today’s technologies attempt to keep adversaries out, but the sad fact is they will inevitably be defeated. This means a successful cybersecurity professional needs to have an expanded arsenal in their toolkit that extends far beyond technical proficiency.
Why Take This Course?
Cybersecurity professionals need to be agile, multifunctional, flexible, and dynamic given how quickly things can change. They need to be able to adapt to change and problem solve quickly, have diverse knowledge to perform many activities, respond to new threats and shift priorities to meet the challenge of the day.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify what tools and skills are necessary to form today’s Professional Cybersecurity toolkit;
- Match appropriate tools to different purposes in the cybersecurity management process;
- Synthesize insights gained in course exploration of toolkit skill sets, working toward self-evaluation of talents and interests aligned to cybersecurity’s array of roles
David Aucsmith is a Senior Principal Research Scientist – Applied Physics Lab at the University of Washington.
He has worked in a variety of security technology areas including secure computer systems, secure communications systems, security architecture, random number generation, cryptography and cryptographic systems, steganography and network intrusion detection.
Curiosity and interest in cybersecurity
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)