Boston University is offering free online course on Business Analytics for Data-Driven Decision Making. In this course, part of both the Digital Leadership and Digital Product Management Micro Masters programs, you will learn the tools and techniques to become a data-driven or “evidence-based” manager.
In this eight week course, applicants will learn how to lead your firm to make better business decisions using analytic methods and create competitive advantages from data. This course will start on February 28, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: Boston University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $200
Session: Course Starts on February 28, 2018
Boston University’s impact extends far beyond our campus in the heart of Boston. Our students, faculty, and alumni travel around the globe to study, teach, and become immersed in the communities in which they live.
About This Course
Virtually all managerial and leadership positions in the digital economy increasingly rely on data-driven decision making. Recent studies have shown companies who adopt “Data-Driven Decision Management” achieve significant productivity gains over other firms.
Having a solid grasp of the end-to-end process of making effective decisions with data will give you an edge, both in performing such analyses yourself, as well as in effectively managing teams of business analysts and data scientists.
Why Take This Course?
You will learn the process of reframing a business question as a data question, reasoning about what data might be of assistance and how to obtain it, integrating and cleaning the data, performing the analysis, deriving and communicating insights from the analysis, and building the managerial culture to operate in this way and create competitive advantages from enterprise data.
- Key analytic technologies and techniques, e.g. predictive modeling and clustering, and how these can play a role in managerial decision making
- How to effectively manage the analytical processes and use the results of these processes as the basis for making informed, evidence-based decisions
- How companies can use analytics as the basis for creating value
John W. Byers
John is Professor of Computer Science at Boston University and Founding Chief Scientist of Cogo Labs, founded in 2005. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from UC Berkeley in 1997 and his B.A. from Cornell University in 1991.
Chris is Richard C. Shipley Professor of Information Systems at the Questrom School of Business and Associate Provost for Digital Learning & Innovation at Boston University.
Andrei is a Research Scientist and Director of Research Development within the Hariri Institute for Computing, Director of the Software & Application Innovation Lab, and Adjunct Assistant Professor within the Department of Computer Science, all at Boston University.
Elementary college course in statistics
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)