Inter-American Development Bank is offering free online course on Data for Effective Policy Making. The course is based on real-life examples, so you can understand the different concepts and methodologies in a simple, practical and enjoyable way.
In this six week course, applicants will take control of data and gain a better understanding of the tools used in public policy planning, management, and evaluation. This course will start on November 2, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 7 hours pw
Subject: Economics & Finance
Institution: Inter-American Development Bank and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $25
Session: Course Starts on November 2, 2017
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) works to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Through financial and technical support for countries working to reduce poverty and inequality, we help improve health and education, and advance infrastructure. Our aim is to achieve development in a sustainable, climate-friendly way.
About This Course
The course is based on real-life examples, so you can understand the different concepts and methodologies in a simple, practical and enjoyable way. Using different practical activities, you will be able to apply the acquired knowledge and practice with data and graphs. In addition, we will show you real IDB cases to promote analysis and present the realities to which experts from the region and the Caribbean are exposed. You will also face some creative challenges that will allow you to measure your abilities on a higher level of difficulty.
Why Take This Course?
In this course, you will strengthen your ability to use, understand and interpret data. Using the “Numbers for Development” and “Caribbean Data Portal” platforms developed by the IDB – which presents data and socioeconomic indicators from the Latin American and Caribbean region – you will be able to understand how to improve the decision-making process in public management.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the importance of the relationship between data analysis and decision-making in public management.
- Define the research problem, starting hypothesis, analysis variables and some methods to test the hypotheses.
- Identify the methodology that best addresses the problems for collecting, interpreting and analyzing data.
- Interpret and develop different types of visualizations, using concrete examples from the Numbers for Development portal and the Caribbean Data Portal.
- Identify how to use data analysis to propose solutions to public policy problems, and to explain the assessment of a policy, and to carry out policy planning.
- Browse the IDB’s Numbers for Development and Caribbean Data Portal and its different sections.
- Browse the structure of the edX platform and the course.
Norma is the Chief of Library Services of the Inter-American Development Bank.
Ivette Fis de Melo
Ivette is a member of the IDB’s Felipe Herrera Library (FHL) team. She is the Embedded Librarian for the Infrastructure and Environment Sector (INE), and the Department of Environmental and Social Safeguards (ESG) and Central America (CID).
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)