Microsoft offering free online course on Data Science Orientation. This course is part of the Microsoft Professional Program Certificate in Data Science.
It will help you get started with the program, plan your learning schedule, and connect with fellow students and teaching assistants.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 2-4 hours pw
Subject: Data Analysis & Statistics
Institution: Microsoft and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $25
We live in a mobile-first and cloud-first world. Computing is ubiquitous, and experiences span devices and exhibit ambient intelligence. Billions of sensors, screens and devices – in conference rooms, living rooms, cities, cars, phones, PCs – are forming a vast network and streams of data that simply disappear into the background of our lives. This computing power will digitize nearly everything around us, and will derive insights from all of the data being generated by interactions among people and between people and machines. We are moving from a world where computing power was scarce to a place where it now is almost limitless, and where the true scarce commodity is increasingly human attention.
About This Course
This is the first stop in the Data Science curriculum from Microsoft. It will help you get started with the program, plan your learning schedule, and connect with fellow students and teaching assistants. Along the way, you’ll get an introduction to working with and exploring data using a variety of visualization, analytical, and statistical techniques.
- How the Microsoft Data Science curriculum works
- How to navigate the curriculum and plan your course schedule
- Basic data exploration and visualization techniques in Microsoft Excel
- Foundational statistics that can be used to analyze data
Graeme has been a trainer, consultant, and author for longer than he cares to remember, specializing in SQL Server and the Microsoft data platform. He is a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert for the SQL Server Data Platform and Business Intelligence.
Liberty J. Munson
Liberty is the Principal Psychometrician and Quality Lead for Microsoft Learning’s technical certification and assessment program.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)