The University of Pennsylvania is offering free online course on Data Structures and Software Design. Students will learn about software design principles such as modularity, functional independence, and abstraction, and apply those concepts toward writing programs that are easy to understand, easy to modify, and easy to test.
In this four week course, applicants will learn how to select, apply, and analyze the most appropriate data representations in your code and design high quality software that is easy to understand and modify. This course will start on July 3, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 6-8 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: University of Pennsylvania and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $149
Session: Course Starts on July 3, 2017
The University of Pennsylvania is an Ivy League institution with 12 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools in Philadelphia, serving a diverse community of more than 20,000 students from around the world.
About This Course
In this course, Students will learn about important core data structures such as arrays, lists, stacks, queues, sets, maps, trees, and graphs, and learn how to evaluate them and reason about their behavior and efficiency.
Why Take This Course?
This course will use Java but the concepts you learn can be applied to almost all modern programming languages.
- Efficient means of storing and retrieving data in a Java program
- How to identify the data structure that best represents the problem at hand
- Use of the inbuilt Java data structures
- Assess and improve the quality of software design with respect to object-oriented principles
- Convert a set of requirements into a high-quality software design
- How to write efficient code that is easy to read, understand, and modify
Chris is an Associate Professor of Practice at the School of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Knowledge of Java syntax and keywords
- Knowledge of object-oriented principles in Java (encapsulation, inheritance, polymorphism)
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)