The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is offering free online course on Design Thinking for Leading and Learning. A hands-on course for education leaders to learn about design thinking and explore how to transform classroom learning and school communities.
This course has been funded by Microsoft and is part of the Microsoft K-12 Education Leadership initiative developed to provide resources to K-12 school leaders around the world as they address the unique needs of their schools in a changing educational and technology landscape. The course will start on April 12, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 4 to 6 hours per week
Institution: Massachusetts Institute of Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on April 12, 2018
Massachusetts Institute of Technology — a coeducational, privately endowed research university founded in 1861 — is dedicated to advancing knowledge and educating students in science, technology, and other areas of scholarship that will best serve the nation and the world in the 21st century. Learn more about MIT. Through MITx, the Institute furthers its commitment to improving education worldwide.
About This Course
How do we prepare K-12 students and learning communities to be as successful as possible? If future jobs require creativity, problem-solving, and communication, how do we teach these skills in meaningful ways? How do we bring together passionate school leaders to create systemic solutions to educational challenges? Come explore these questions and more in Design Thinking for Leading and Learning.
- Process of design thinking
- Why the design thinking process is helpful for 21st century learners and schools
- How design thinking is applied in a variety of educational settings
- Ways to apply design thinking as a strategy for improving schools and systems
Justin Reich is an Assistant Professor in the Comparative Media Studies department at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, an instructor in the Scheller Teacher Education Program, and the director of the MIT Teaching Systems Lab.
No previous experience with design thinking needed. We recommend that participants take the course with colleagues from their organization (school, district, learning environment).
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)