The University of Queensland is offering free online course on Energy and Development. This course examines the fundamental importance of energy transitions for sustainable development.
In this ten week course, applicants will explore the challenge of resource depletion, population, security, and conflict on ensuring energy access for all. This course will start on July 3, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 10 weeks
Effort: 8-10 hours pw
Subject: Environmental science
Institution: The University of Queensland and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $199
Session: Course Starts on July 3, 2018
The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia, is one of the world’s premier teaching and research institutions. Striving for excellence through the creation, preservation, transfer and application of knowledge UQ ranks in the top 50 Universities as measured by the QS World University Rankings.
About This Course
Are you concerned about developing countries’ access to energy? This course examines the fundamental importance of energy transitions for sustainable development. You will learn about the objectives of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the nexus that occur around food, energy and water.
Why Take This Course?
In this course, you will explore a range of global change issues and investigate the ensuing implications for energy. Issues covered include resource depletion, population, security, and conflict. With a focus on both the developed, fast developing and developing countries you will learn about a range of legal, political, regulatory and behavioral frameworks and will be provided with a number of tools for prioritizing stakeholders.
- The UN Sustainable Development Goals
- The implications of systems thinking for developing countries
- The complexities around the food / energy / water nexus
- The importance of stakeholder management for energy technology
- Skills for analyzing stakeholder influence and importance
- Development intervention approaches
- The impact of population on energy systems
Professor Peta Ashworth
As a social scientist, Peta is well known for her expertise in the energy field, communication and stakeholder engagement and technology assessment.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)