Open University is offering free online course on Digital Economy: Finance for Business Growth. This course is intended for those with an interest in developing their financial skills to make robust decisions when managing business finance.
In this four week course, applicants will learn how to develop a funding strategy for their business; explore different types of finance and learn when, and how, to use them. The course will start on April 3, 2017.
Course At Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Finance for Business Growth
Institution: Open University and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on April 3, 2017
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning. Since it began in 1969, the OU has taught more than 1.8 million students and has almost 220,000 current students, including more than 15,000 overseas. The Open University is rated one of the best in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey. The OU is one of only four UK universities to have consistently achieved more than 90% in the survey’s history. Over 70% of students are in full-time or part-time employment, and four out of five FTSE 100 companies have sponsored staff to take OU courses.
About This Course
The Digital Economy: Finance For Business Growth is one of four courses from The Open University about the digital economy, designed to help experienced managers get to grips with today’s technology-enabled business environment. The course has been developed by The Open University Business School – a pioneering institution that is triple accredited by AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB.
Why Take This Course?
Every business needs cash to grow and develop. Some businesses are able to find enough cash from their own operations to take advantage of growth opportunities. Others might need to use external sources of finance, like a bank loan. How does a business make robust decisions about borrowing?
- Assess borrowing requirements and develop a strategy for your business finance needs
- Assess the risks, benefits and drawbacks of different types of debt
- Assess and critique finance available to your business, both traditional and newer sources, such as crowd funding
- Evaluate funding opportunities for business growth and development
- Apply and consider the role of traditional sources of finance, i.e. debt and equity, as well as alternative finance options, such as crowdfunding and peer-to-peer lending
- Record and learn to use financial statements to assess the financial health of a business
- Collect and learn to use a cash flow forecast to help you make decisions about managing business cash
- Investigate and find out how you can develop a funding strategy and make the right decision about the type of borrowing for your business
This course is intended for those with an interest in developing their financial skills to make robust decisions when managing business finance. The course does not require any previous experience of this subject.
Dr Jane Hughes is a lecturer in accounting and finance at the Open University. She is a professional accountant, with over twenty years of business experience in both corporate and financial services.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).