The University of Michigan is offering free online course on Finance for Everyone: Smart Tools for Decision-Making. The course will help you develop a full appreciation for the many applications of finance.
In this introduction to finance course from Michigan learn to apply frameworks and smart tools for understanding and making everyday financial decisions.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 5-6 hours pw
Subject: Economics & Finance
Institution: University of Michigan and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
About This Course
Want to learn how to think clearly about important financial decisions and improve your financial literacy? Finance for Everyone will showcase the beauty and power of finance. This introductory finance course will be a gateway into the world of finance and will examine multiple applications to apply to your everyday life.
Why Take This Course?
You will be able to value the impact of different choices available to you: from renting or buying, evaluating car, home and student loans, or deciding whether to go to college versus pursuing a new idea to simply understanding how the financial world works.
- Why finance is everywhere and how it affects all of us
- An understanding of the financial world, and an appreciation for the beauty and power of finance
- Gain the fundamental knowledge, skills, and tools of finance and the ability to apply them everywhere, in personal and professional situations
- Different frameworks for decision-making
- Acquire skills in using different decision-making tools, and learn to make sound personal and professional financial decisions
- The concept of Time Value of Money (TVM) and apply related tools and frameworks to everyday decisions
Gautam Kaul is a Professor of Finance and the Fred M. Taylor Professor of Business at the Ross School of Business (RSB), University of Michigan.
- Secondary school (high-school) algebra
- Basic mathematics concepts
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)