The University of Michigan is offering free online course for international students to prepare for graduate study in the U.S. This course is designed for students planning future travel to the United States to attend a graduate program.
By completing the course, you should enhance your ability to reach the following objectives for the purpose of communicating successfully as a new international graduate student studying in the United States. The course will start on April 23, 2018.
Course At Glance
Length: Plan on setting aside 2-3 hours each week to explore life in graduate school in the U.S. together.
Subject: Preparing for Graduate Study
Institution: University of Michigan and Coursera
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on April 23, 2018
The University of Michigan, frequently referred to simply as Michigan, is a public research university in Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States.
About This Course
This course prepares you to embark upon your future graduate studies in the U.S. with confidence. In this MOOC, you’ll have the opportunity to meet other prospective graduate students, hear from experienced international graduate students in the United States, and to practice sharing your own thoughts, stories, and expertise in English. You’ll select a “target” graduate program at a U.S. college or university to use as a case study throughout the course. You may already be admitted to this program, or it may be an institution you hope to attend in the future. You will identify resources that support international graduate students in your target campus. You will have multiple opportunities to practice your English language skills through practice assignments and through interactions with one another.
By completing the course, you should enhance your ability to reach the following objectives for the purpose of communicating successfully as a new international graduate student studying in the United States.
- Introduce yourself professionally
- Explain your expertise
- Begin networking with members of your target institution
- Explore the campus climate of your target institution
- Identify the local vocabulary used at your target institution to describe campus climate topics such as diversity, inclusion, or equity
- Identify skills and perspectives you can contribute to the diversity of your target institution
- For collaboration
- Use English to negotiate group roles
- Use English to express opinions
- For academic writing
- Identify disciplinary norms in academic writing
- Cite source material appropriately in academic writing
- For improving English
- Use at least three digital resources to investigate language use
- Use at least three digital resources to practice English fluency
- Use at least two new daily life opportunities to improve English for academic, social, or teaching purposes
This course is designed for students planning future travel to the United States to attend a graduate program.
Pamela Bogart, Lecturer IV, English Language Institute
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At Coursera
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material