Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) is offering free online course on Globally Distributed Software Engineering. This software engineering course covers the subject in an accessible and practical manner.
In this seven week course, applicants will develop the technical and organizational skills you need to practice software engineering in a globally distributed environment. This course will start on October 24, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 7 weeks
Effort: 4-6 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $50
Session: Course Starts on October 24, 2017
Delft University of Technology is the largest and oldest technological university in the Netherlands. Our research is inspired by the desire to increase fundamental understanding, as well as by societal challenges.
About This Course
Software engineering operates ever more frequently in globally distributed settings. This practice, also known as Globally Distributed Software Engineering (GDSE) has advantages and disadvantages that need to be addressed in a thoroughly practical way.
Why Take This Course?
This software engineering course covers the subject in an accessible and practical manner. You will be introduced to the different pros and cons of GDSE, the practical consequences of GDSE and its technological feasibilities and infeasibilities. The course includes the practical experiences of users and examples of GDSE applications such as outsourcing, off-shoring, near-shoring and multi-partner systems development.
- To understand the main constructs of globally distributed software engineering theory.
- How to apply the principles of globally distributed software engineering in your own company’s practice.
- To produce an artifact that adds to the overall body of knowledge of globally distributed software engineering.
- To identify the main concepts in decision-making and leadership roles in a globally distributed context.
Rini van Solingen
Part-time full-professor in Global Software Engineering at the Delft University of Technology – Software Engineering Research Group (department of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science – Software Engineering Section), and Chief Technology Officer of Prowareness, a Netherlands based software company that specializes in distributed agile software development and agile transformations.
Students that follow this course should have prior knowledge of how software is developed, although technical knowledge or programming skills are not required.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)