The University of Pennsylvania is offering free online course on Hollywood: History, Industry, Art. In this course, students will learn about Hollywood and how it came to be the global powerhouse of today.
In this four week course, applicants will explore the history of Hollywood, from Edison and the birth of film to the rise of the internet.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks (8 units)
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Subject: Art & Culture
Institution: University of Pennsylvania and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
The University of Pennsylvania is an Ivy League institution with 12 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools in Philadelphia, serving a diverse community of more than 20,000 students from around the world.
About This Course
This course will chronicle Hollywood’s growth and global reach since the 1920s, looking at:
- How Hollywood has responded to new? technologies such as synchronized sound, color cinematography, TV, home video, computer graphics, and the internet
- How the global spread of Hollywood since the 1920s changed ?the film industry
- The relationship between Hollywood and independent ?film
- Hollywood’s responses to crises in American ?politics (e.g., world wars, the cold war, the 1960s counterculture, 9/11)
Why Take This Course?
We will discuss the complex Hollywood industry and how business and politics translate into the art of film, TV, and new media.
- The history of the studio system
- How to analyze a film
- How Hollywood has responded to new technologies in the industry
- The impact of global audiences on Hollywood
- The relationship between Hollywood and independent media
- How Hollywood has reacted to major political events
- What the future holds for Hollywood
Peter is Professor of Cinema Studies and English at the University of Pennsylvania.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)