The Harvard University is offering free online course on Humanitarian Response to Conflict and Disaster. The course explores the ethical and professional principles that guide humanitarian response to conflict and disaster.
In this five-week course, applicants will learn the principles guiding humanitarian response to modern emergencies, and the challenges faced in the field today.
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Subject: Health & Safety
Institution: Harvard University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally.
About This Course
This course from the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative and HarvardX seeks to prepare learners to recognize and analyze emerging challenges in the humanitarian field. The course explores the ethical and professional principles that guide humanitarian response to conflict and disaster. Participants will learn the legal and historical frameworks that shaped these principles, test their applicability to the challenges faced by humanitarian actors today.
Why Take This Course?
The course explores the ethical and professional principles that guide humanitarian response to conflict and disaster. Participants will learn the legal and historical frameworks that shaped these principles, test their applicability to the challenges faced by humanitarian actors today.
- Legal and historical frameworks shaping the professionalization of the humanitarian field
- An applied understanding of the principles guiding humanitarian response and the tensions that arise when operational zing these principles in modern crises
- How to recognize and adapt to major trends affecting the scope and implementation of humanitarian work
Jennifer Leaning MD, SMH
Jennifer Leaning teaches courses at Harvard on humanitarian response to war and disaster, human rights in peace and war, and environment and forced migration in the context of climate change.
Michael VanRooyen MD, MPH
Michael VanRooyen is the Director of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI) at Harvard University and the Chairman of Emergency Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)