The National STEM Learning Centre, STEM Ambassadors is offering free online course on Inspiring Young People in STEM: Planning activities. This course has been created for anyone volunteering with young people in STEM.
In this two week course, applicants will Learn how to plan and design STEM activities that are engaging and effective for young people. This course will start on January 29, 2018.
Course At Glance
Length: 2 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Inspiring Young People in STEM: Planning activities
Institution: National STEM Learning Centre, STEM Ambassadors and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on January 29, 2018
National STEM Learning Centre
The National STEM Learning Centre provides world-class professional development activities and resources to support the teaching of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) subjects.
STEM Ambassadors are volunteers from all STEM disciplines and backgrounds including engineers, designers, architects, scientists and technicians.
About This Course
Bringing to life science, technology, engineering and math’s with practical activities is one of the best ways to engage young people in STEM subjects.
Why Take This Course?
On this course you will learn how to plan, organize and design practical STEM activities effectively. You’ll learn how to select STEM activities to suit different contexts, such as running an activity with a teacher in a school, or being a guest speaker to a Guides or Scout group in a village hall.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Develop an engaging and inspiring STEM-related activity for young people.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the STEM curriculum by communicating, negotiating and agreeing an activity with educators and group leaders.
- Design a practical activity to be delivered within a school or non-school organization, with an awareness of the audience, ability and age group.
- Produce an activity plan to use when delivering a practical activity in a school or non-school organization.
This course has been created for anyone volunteering with young people in STEM. This includes STEM Ambassadors in the UK, youth volunteering group organizers, field trip educators, scout groups (and similar), outdoor pursuit centers, outreach from NGOs. You will need knowledge of STEM subjects or experience of working in a STEM environment.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).