Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) is offering free online course on Introduction to Aeronautical Engineering. The course provides an overview of and introduction to the fundamentals of aeronautics, using the history of aviation as a story line.
In this course, applicants will discover the fascinating world of aviation by investigating aeronautics, aerodynamics and flight mechanics. The course will start on September 2016.
Course At A Glance
Effort: 84 hours, self-paced
Institution: Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Starts on September 2016
Delft University of Technology is the largest and oldest technological university in the Netherlands. Our research is inspired by the desire to increase fundamental understanding, as well as by societal challenges. University encourage student to be independent thinkers so they will become engineers capable of solving complex problems. Our students have chosen Delft University of Technology because of our reputation for quality education and research.
Lectures are frequently accompanied by related exercises and demonstrations. The course also incorporates (design) challenges/competitions, based on the knowledge obtained through the lectures.
About This Course
This course provides an overview of and introduction to the fundamentals of aeronautics, using the history of aviation as a story line. The course uses examples from the very beginning of aviation (the Montgolfier brothers’ balloon flight in 1783 and the Wright brothers’ heavier-than-air flight in 1903) and continues all the way through to the current Airbus A380 and future aircraft. During this trajectory three major topics are discussed: aeronautics, aerodynamics and flight mechanics.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- A general introduction to aeronautics
- Detailed knowledge of aerodynamics
- A specific understanding of flight performance
Jacco M. Hoekstra
Professor CNS/ATM (Communication, Navigation, Surveillance/Air Traffic Management)
Jos Sinke is Assistant Professor at the Department of Aerospace Structures and Materials of the Faculty of Aerospace Engineering of TU Delft.
Nando Timmer is lecturer and research engineer at the department of Aerodynamics, Wind Energy and Flight Mechanics & Propulsion at the Faculty of Aerospace Engineering of TUDelft.
Mark Voskuijl is Assistant Professor in Flight Mechanics and Propulsion at Delft University of Technology since 2007, where he is responsible for various lectures, projects and final thesis work related to flight mechanics.
High school level Mathematics & Physics
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)