Harvard University is offering free online course on Introduction to Family Engagement in Education. Students will learn what family engagement is and why it matters to the success of students and schools.
In this six-week course, applicants will learn about successful collaborations between families and educators and why they lead to improved outcomes for students and schools.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 2-4 hours pw
Subject: Education & Teacher Training
Institution: Harvard University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $70
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally.
About This Course
Family engagement describes what families do at home and in the community to support their children’s learning and development. It also encompasses the shared partnership and responsibility between home and school.
Why Take This Course?
We will explore the research linking family engagement to better educational outcomes and speak directly with researchers, educators, students, and families about promising practices in the field.
- The relationship between family engagement and improved school/student outcomes from birth through high school
- The additional benefits family engagement brings to parents, educators, and communities
- What the research shows about the importance of engaging families
Karen L. Mapp
Karen L. Mapp, Ed.D, is a Senior Lecturer on Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE) and the Faculty Director of the Education Policy and Management Master’s Program.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)