Sungkyunkwan University is offering free online course on Introduction to Quantitative Investing. Students will learn basics of financial economics and try its real life application using financial data and programming.
In this course, students will start by learning about key concepts in modern investment theory and quantitative investing like return, risk and portfolio optimization. This course will start on September 11, 2017.
Course At Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Introduction to Quantitative Investing
Institution: Sungkyunkwan University (SKKU) and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on September 11, 2017
Sungkyunkwan University was founded in 1398 as the highest national educational institute in the early years of the Joseon Dynasty in Korea.
As the oldest university in East Asia, it has fostered leaders of Korean society for over 600 years.
About This Course
Financial markets have become increasingly complex – it’s not easy to know where to start when it comes to investing. In today’s world the demand of accurate data-driven quantitative analysis across the world is steadily rising: it’s become crucial to understand and be able to use statistical and mathematical information accurately and promptly.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Calculate the return and risk of an investment.
- Evaluate the portfolio return and risk, and understand how covariance affects the overall portfolio risk.
- Demonstrate the ability to code the optimal portfolio construction process using R.
- Identify the mean-variance optimal portfolio both conceptually and empirically.
- Develop a single/multiple factor model and calculate the expected return of an investment.
Students will need to have studied maths to a high school level, but other than that there are no special requirements for this course – you don’t need any experience in programming or investing.
Youngju Nielsen is a professor for the course “introduction to quantitative investing”.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).