Hong Kong Polytechnic University is offering free online course on Introduction to Urban Geo-Informatics. In this course, applicants will learn about geospatial technologies, such as GIS, Remote Sensing, GNSS and Underground Mapping, to solve urban environmental issues.
In this course, you will explore various technologies involved in Geo-Informatics, how the technologies help us to retrieve spatial data, and more importantly how the geographical data becomes the information for decision making. The course will start on February 13, 2018.
Course At Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 4-6 hours/week
Institution: Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on February 13, 2018
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is committed to education and preparing students to becoming global citizens through quality learning and teaching. We are internationally known for our excellence in professional education and innovative research.
About This Course
These are just some of the questions that you have to pick up every so often as we wander around the streets of our urban metropolis. Many of the technologies we used, many of the decisions we made are based on spatial data, most of which are acquired from Geospatial Technologies. Such data and the interpretation of the data are “Geo-Informatics”.
In this course, you will explore various technologies involved in Geo-Informatics, how the technologies help us to retrieve spatial data, and more importantly how the geographical data becomes the information for decision making.
You will also explore the fields of Remote Sensing, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) such as GPS, and Underground Mapping. The concept of Smart City and the Urban Environment will be introduced to you, and how will these technologies help us shape and understand the world that we are living in.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Issues surrounding the Urban Environment
- History and skills involved in the different Geospatial Technologies (Remote Sensing, GIS, GNSS, Underground Mapping)
- Discover how Geospatial data is collected, analyzed and used to shape our world
Dr. Man-Sing Charles WONG
Prof. Wenzhong SHI
Dr. Lilian SC PUN-CHENG
Go. Dr. Wallace WL LAI
Dr. Xintao LIU
Dr. Xiaolin ZHU
Prof. Michael BATTY
Prof. Michael GOODCHILD
Prof. Mei-Po KWAN
Dr. Peter ATKINSON
Dr. James GARRISON
Dr. Tom ISELEY
Dr. CK SHUM
Dr. Yun Zhang
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).