Catalyst is offering free online course on Effective Communication. Throughout the course, you will create a plan of action to help apply the strategies learned in this course to your work and other parts of your life.
Under this course, applicants will develop communication skills that bring out the best in them and in others. The course starts on May 9, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 sections
Effort: 1.5 – 2 hours per section
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: Catalyst and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $50
Session: Course starts on May 9, 2017
Catalyst is the leading nonprofit organization with a mission to expand opportunities for women and business. They are dedicated to creating more inclusive workplaces where employees representing every dimension of diversity can thrive.
About This Course
What does it take to inspire others, promote a novel idea, or even have a difficult conversation? How can you position yourself as a leader through inclusive communication? How do you know that the message you are intending to send is what is being received? Join Catalyst experts to explore this topic and the important role communication plays in inclusive leadership.
All too often, we struggle to communicate effectively—particularly with others who are different from us in some way. This course will show you how the most effective communication utilizes the inclusive leadership mindset of Empowerment, Accountability, Courage, and Humility and guide you on how to use that mindset yourself. Through research and real-world examples, you will learn strategies to enhance your communication skills and approach. Topics will include understanding dialogue processes, debunking everyday communication myths, testing assumptions, listening, expressing yourself authentically, and communicating across differences. With short quizzes, compelling case studies, and engaging videos, you will develop knowledge in each section and share your experience with other learners.
Why Take This Course?
Throughout the course, you will create a plan of action to help apply the strategies learned in this course to your work and other parts of your life.
- Approaches, frameworks, and tools for communicating effectively.
- How inclusive leadership and effective communication are intertwined.
- How to work through everyday communication roadblocks.
- Strategies to create space for transparent and authentic communication, where people across differences feel safe to speak up and share ideas.
- Discover your own communication strengths to build effective relationships in your professional or personal lives.
Dnika J. Travis PhD
She is a Center Leader for the Catalyst Research Center for Corporate Practice where she distinguishes sound talent management strategies from programmatic fads and documents the best practices.
Alixandra Pollack conducts research on organizational practices, examining diversity and inclusion efforts, change models, and the career experiences of women and men throughout the talent pipeline.
Jeff Barth is the Program Director of MARC (Men Advocating Real Change), an online learning community created especially for professional men who are committed to building inclusive workplaces.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)