The Open University (OU) is offering free online course to learn English for Academic Purposes. This course is designed for students who want to study in English at university. You’ll need an English language level of IELTS 5.5.
Throughout the course you will be able to share your practice work with other learners, to give and get feedback.
Course At Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 4 hours/week
Institution: and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Available now
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning. The Open University is rated one of the best in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey. All Open University Science courses presented on FutureLearn are produced with the kind support of Dangoor Education.
About This Course
This online course will give you an introduction to the academic language and skills that you will need to study at a university where the teaching is done in English.
You will develop four language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) using tasks that a university student would undertake: listening to lectures, taking notes, spoken presentations, reading academic texts (including long sentences and visual information) and writing reports using proper academic words.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Apply strategies for reading academic texts
- Assess the relevance of information for an academic purpose
- Describe problems and cause-and-effect using academic language
- Develop your academic vocabulary and vocabulary skills
- Produce effective notes from a spoken presentation
- Collaborate with other learners by engaging in peer-to-peer feedback
- Synthesise information and use it to begin writing a short piece of academic work
- Produce a final written piece of academic work using the skills learned
This course is designed for students who want to study in English at university. You’ll need an English language level of IELTS 5.5.
She is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Languages and Applied Linguistics at the Open University and look back at 20 years of designing and facilitating distance learning opportunities including MOOCs
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).