Open University is offering free online course on Management and Leadership: Leading a Team. The course is designed for new or aspiring managers, or experienced managers with few or no formal qualifications.
This four-week course is part of the Management and Leadership program, which will enable you to earn a CMI Level 5 Award – the first step to Chartered Manager status. The course will start on August 8, 2016.
Course At Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Management and Leadership
Institution: Open University and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on August 8, 2016
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning. The Open University is rated one of the best in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey. All Open University Science courses presented on FutureLearn are produced with the kind support of Dangoor Education.
About This Course
This course is all about what’s core to leading and managing in organisations. Understanding who is important to an organisation – and that’s everybody who has a stake in it in some way – is a really good starting point. Building relationships with interested groups and people is time well spent. So too is time spent on planning. As someone once said ‘To fail to plan is to plan to fail’. If there’s no plan, how do organisations get people on board? If there’s no plan, what’s the difference between success and failure? How do you know when things are going off track? Or going well?
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. Applicants can pursue a verified certificate. After completing this course students will develop a business plan and build a team with one of two courses in the Management and Leadership program.
This four-week course will guide you through the some key aspects of leadership and management. You will:
- Find out about stakeholders – the people and groups who have an interest in an organisation – and how to analyse them, communicate with them and build effective relationships with them.
- Examine what is involved in making plans and implementing them at different levels in organisations.
- Explore what makes for best practice in recruiting and selecting the right people for a team.
- Look at how good induction can help to settle a new employee in so that they can perform well and enjoy their new role.
- Find out how understanding what motivates people at work and managing performance can support individuals, teams and organisations as a whole.
- At the end of the course you will have gained an insight into leadership and management and how you can develop the skills and knowledge to make you more effective in leading and managing in your organisation.
The course is designed for new or aspiring managers, or experienced managers with few or no formal qualifications. It will enable you to demonstrate your continuous professional development and go on to achieve a CMI Level 5 Award.
She works for the OU Business School as Open Media Fellow. She is carrying out Doctoral research in Business Skills online. She is also an Associate Lecturer and I have an MBA and Masters in Online Learning.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, student will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).