Massachusetts Institute of Technology is offering free online course on Mechanics: Rotational Dynamics. This course is the third of a series of modules that cover calculus-based mechanics.
In this four week course, applicants will learn about rotational dynamics, rigid bodies and moment of inertia in this calculus-based physics course. The course will start on January 18, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 10-12 hours pw
Institution: Massachusetts Institute of Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on January 18, 2017
Massachusetts Institute of Technology-a coeducational, privately endowed research university founded in 1861 — is dedicated to advancing knowledge and educating students in science, technology, and other areas of scholarship that will best serve the nation and the world in the 21st century. Through MITx, the Institute furthers its commitment to improving education worldwide.
About This Course
This course is the third of a series of modules that cover calculus-based mechanics. You will explore rotational motion and learn about the concepts of torque and angular momentum. You will learn about the conservation of angular momentum, and use it with other conservation laws to solve complex problems in rotational dynamics.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Rigid Bodies and Moment of Inertia
- Angular Momentum
- Translation and Rotation
Deepto Chakrabarty, Professor, Physics
Saif Rayyan, Lecturer, Physics
Peter Dourmashkin, Senior Lecturer, Physics
Analia Barrantes, Lecturer, Physic
Michelle Tomasik, Postdoc, Physics
George Stephans, Senior Research Scientist, Laboratory for Nuclear Science
Anna Frebel, Silverman Family Career Development Professor
High school physics, Calculus (on edX: Calculus 1A, Calculus 1B and Calculus 1C) , Mechanics: Kinematics and Dynamics (8.01.1x), Mechanics: Energy and Momentum (8.01.2x)
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)