Wageningen University & Research is offering free online course on Nutrition and Health: Food Risks. Students will gain a contemporary view of how different risks can be weighed in a scientific way.
In this ten week course, applicants will learn about bacteria, pesticides and health hazards present in food. This course will start on May 30, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 10 weeks
Effort: 6-8 hours pw
Subject: Food & Nutrition
Institution: Wageningen University & Research and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on May 30, 2017
Wageningen University and Research centre is dedicated to exploring the potential of nature to improve the quality of life. Learn more about WUR. WageningenX courses train (future) professionals in sustainable food systems and help consumers making informed choices about what they eat, how it is produced and the impact of their choices on the environment and society.
About This Course
Everyday reports of food scandals and recalls are published. One day it’s scary bacteria in meat, and another day it’s dangerous pesticides in fruits. According to some, meat needs to be cooked well to prevent food-borne illness while others warn not to heat food to prevent the formation of poisonous substances.
Why Take This Course?
This nutrition and health course will teach you about the hazards associated with food and give you the tools to assess and quantify the dangers they can present. You will learn the effects of food processing, the shared responsibility in the food chain and the prevention of food poisoning/intoxication. After this course, you will be able to differentiate what is a food myth vs. an actual risk.
- Overview of food hazards
- Elementary knowledge on microbiological and toxicological risk analysis
- How to better interpret the information overload about hazards in food
- Why zero hazard does not exist
- Ways to reduce hazards in food
Postdoctoral fellow in the Division of Toxicology
Assistant Professor in the Division of Toxicology
Assistant Professor in the Laboratory of Food Microbiology
Marcel H. Zwietering
Full Professor in Food Microbiology
Ivonne M.C.M. Rietjens
Full Professor in Toxicology
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)