The Delft University of Technology is offering free online course on Observation Theory: Estimating the Unknown. This course is aimed towards Engineering and Earth Sciences students at Bachelor’s, Master’s and postgraduate level.
The overall objective of this course is to learn how to estimate parameters from observational data for real-world engineering applications and assess the quality of the results. The course will start on August 28, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 6 hours pw
Subject: Data Analysis & Statistics
Institution: Delft University of Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on August 28, 2017
Delft University of Technology is the largest and oldest technological university in the Netherlands. Our research is inspired by the desire to increase fundamental understanding, as well as by societal challenges. We encourage our students to be independent thinkers so they will become engineers capable of solving complex problems. Our students have chosen Delft University of Technology because of our reputation for quality education and research.
About This Course
Are you an engineer, scientist or technician? Are you dealing with measurements or big data, but are you unsure about how to proceed? This is the course that teaches you how to find the best estimates of the unknown parameters from noisy observations. You will also learn how to assess the quality of your results.
TU Delft’s approach to observation theory is world leading and based on decades of experience in research and teaching in geodesy and the wider geosciences. The theory, however, can be applied to all the engineering sciences where measurements are used to estimate unknown parameters.
The course introduces a standardized approach for parameter estimation, using a functional model (relating the observations to the unknown parameters) and a stochastic model (describing the quality of the observations). Using the concepts of least squares and best linear unbiased estimation (BLUE), parameters are estimated and analyzed in terms of precision and significance.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- How to translate real-life estimation problems to easy mathematical models
- Practical understanding of least squares estimation and best linear unbiased estimation, and how to apply these methods
- How to assess and describe the quality of your estimators in the form of precision and confidence interval
- How to check the validity of your estimation results
Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Professor, Geodesy and Satellite Earth Observation
Assistant Professor, Geoscience and Remote Sensing
Researcher, Geoscience and Remote Sensing
- Calculus (high school level)
- Probability concepts like expectation, variance, the normal distribution and other probability density functions
- Basic matrix manipulation (by hand and with e.g. Python or Matlab)
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)