The Catholic University of Louvain is offering free online course on Respiration in the Human Body. This course is for anyone who wants to understand human respiratory physiology, the operation of respiration and the lungs.
In this seven-week course, applicants will learn about respiration and the function of the lungs, oxygen and CO? in the body from medical experts.
Course At A Glance
Length: 7 weeks
Effort: 3-5 hours pw
Subject: Biology & Life Sciences
Institution: Catholic University of Louvain and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $50
The Catholic University of Louvain (UCL), founded in 1425, is one of Europe’s oldest universities. The university has more than 28,000 students from bachelor’s level to doctorate and adult continuing education, in all disciplines. With its main campus located in Louvain-la-Neuve, next to Brussels, the university attracts every year 5,000 international students from more than 120 countries.
About This Course
How do we breathe? What is the purpose of our lungs? What is the link between oxygen and life? These questions open a vast field of discovery to help us understand respiration. This course is for anyone who wants to understand human respiratory physiology, the operation of respiration and the lungs.
Why Take This Course?
Students will learn from professors, health professionals, interns and medical students. Together University will discuss topics that are close to the world surrounding us: respiration during exercise, at high altitude, the role of air pollutants, asthma, and other important respiratory issues.
- Explain and describe the principles of oxygenation, ventilation, transport and consumption of oxygen and gas diffusion between air and blood
- How to explain and describe respiration through diagrams and calculations using fundamental formulas
- Evaluate the quantity and quality of the oxygenation of a patient
- Distinguish normal respiratory situations from pathological ones
Franck Verschuren est médecin, spécialiste en médecine interne et médecine d’urgence, professeur clinique au service des urgences des Cliniques universitaires Saint-Luc à Bruxelles, chargé de cours à l’Université Catholique de Louvain en Belgique.
This course is taught in English and French. The videos are subtitled in English, and all other course materials and course discussions are also in English.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)