The Harvard University is offering free online course on Saving Schools: Reforming the US Education System. This course aims to answer the question: how did a school system, eleven the envy of the world, stumble so that the performance in math, science, and reading of US students at age 15 fell below that of students in a majority of the world’s industrialized nations.
Course At A Glance
Length: 10 weeks
Effort: 3-5 hours pw
Subject: Social Sciences
Institution: Harvard University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Session: At your own pace
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard faculty are engaged with teaching and research to push the boundaries of human knowledge.
About This Course
This course aims to answer the question: how did a school system, eleven the envy of the world, stumble so that the performance in math, science, and reading of US students at age 15 fell below that of students in a majority of the world’s industrialized nations?
Why Take This Course?
University starts by identifying the personalities and historical forces-the progressives, racial desegregation, legalization and collective bargaining-that shaped and re-shaped US school policy and policy. We visit the places where new ideas and practices were spawned, and we look at some of their unanticipated consequences.
- The status of the US Education system compared to countries around the world;
- The way in which teachers are currently paid and alternative proposals for paying teachers;
- The finances and economics of education;
- The theories and implementation of alternative schools of choice (via vouchers or charter schools) in the US;
- The development and possible future for digital learning in the US
Paul E. Peterson
Paul E. Peterson is the Henry Lee Shattuck Professor of Government, Harvard University and Director of the Program on Education Policy and Governance.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)