The University of Strathclyde is offering free online course on Understanding Modern Business and Organisations. The course is aimed at anyone interested in understanding the world of modern business and organisations, and will be of particular interest to those who have graduated from fields other than business.
In this six-week course, applicants will learn how knowledge, technology, ethics and globalisation affect businesses today. The course will start on January 23, 2017.
Course At Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 6 hours/week
Institution: University of Strathclyde and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on January 23, 2017
The University of Strathclyde is a leading international technological university located in the heart of Glasgow, Scotland’s biggest city. Its commitment to useful learning guides its research, learning and teaching – and the way it works with businesses and organisations.
About This Course
Are you a graduate who’s new to the world of work? Would you like to understand some of the key trends affecting organisations today? Are you keen to think about how the workplace is likely to change in future?
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
This free online course will give you these insights, looking at four themes over six weeks:
- Knowledge: what does our shift towards a knowledge economy, away from manual labour, mean for both business and society?
- Technology: how do organisations develop and/or use technology, and protect their intellectual property? How are the concepts of copyright, reliability and intellectual property changing today?
- Ethics: does the rise of corporate social responsibility and environmental issues mean that businesses are more morally and socially responsible today?
- Globalisation: how do organisations perform on the world stage and balance the global with the local? What does living in a global village mean for organisations, as well as individuals, today and tomorrow?
The course is aimed at anyone interested in understanding the world of modern business and organisations, and will be of particular interest to those who have graduated from fields other than business.
It is delivered at graduate level – this means that it is thinking-intensive and relatively complex. However, it doesn’t require specific knowledge of any particular topic, as all concepts are built up from scratch.
Some work experience in a business environment, not necessarily in a business organisation, however limited, would be beneficial.
Senior Lecturer in Information and Knowledge Management. My interest is comprised of areas of personal and organisational knowledge and learning as well as supporting these with information systems.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).