The Columbia University is offering free online course on University Studies for Student Veterans. This course aims to help you do just that. First, the course will orient you to the norms and expectations of the college classroom.
This course helps veterans transition smoothly from military service to college, and helps them maximize their success once they arrive.
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Subject: Education & Teacher Training
Institution: Columbia University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Columbia University is one of the world’s most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields.
About This Course
The skills you learned in the military will go a long way toward helping you succeed in college, but if you’re looking for some extra support – or an academic tune-up – then you’ll find it in this course.
Why Take This Course?
This online curriculum may be used in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, as a start-to finish, self-directed online experience (MOOC). It can also, in its current format, serve as an “orientation” for other student veteran success programs.
- Foundational academic and study skills for achieving academic success in college.
- Strategies for more effective reading, writing, test preparation, and time management.
- Proven tips for students taking STEM and other technical courses.
- Metacognition and academic mindset.
Before joining the Columbia University Center for Veteran Transition and Integration as a Curriculum Designer in 2016, R.J.
Sara is Associate Dean of Students at Columbia University’s School of General Studies where she directs the Academic Resource Center and oversees all academic and learning initiatives.
Josh is Senior Assistant Dean of Students at Columbia University’s School of General Studies.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)