Microsoft is offering free online course on Web Design Best Practices: An Inclusive Approach. In this course, we will teach you the guidelines and best practices required to create a new web application from scratch.
In this five week course, applicants will learn best practices and guidelines needed to create Web pages that are more inclusive and empower your users to get the most out of your Web page. This course will start on Quarter 1 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Microsoft and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Session: Course Starts on Quarter 1 2018
We live in a mobile-first and cloud-first world. Computing is ubiquitous, and experiences span devices and exhibit ambient intelligence. Billions of sensors, screens and devices – in conference rooms, living rooms, cities, cars, phones, PCs – are forming a vast network and streams of data that simply disappear into the background of our lives.
About This Course
In today’s Internet-driven world, accessibility is a critical requirement for any web application. After all, what good is the technology that connects us all, if all of us can’t connect with it?
Along with the benefits of inclusion, accessibility carries with it a very real financial incentive: poorly designed, inaccessible web applications can incur incredible repair costs when they are deemed to be out of compliance with legal requirements.
Why Take This Course?
In this course, we will teach you the guidelines and best practices required to create a new web application from scratch. You’ll also learn how to repair inaccessible sites as they exist right now.
- Best practices and guidelines to make your Website more inclusive
- Accessibility tools
- Page structure
- Aria attributes
- Required attributes
- How CSS affects accessibility
- Communicating text for screen readers
- Control elements
- Complex controls
- Edit, email, and search boxes
- Charts and graphs
- Filets and legends
- Choosing UI frameworks
- Filters and sorting
- Tab controls
- Optimizing usability while fixing accessibility issues
- Error messages
- Fixing order issues
- Fixing a form
University of Washington
Software Design Engineer
Senior Program Manager
Microsoft Learning Experiences
Customer Service Support Lab Engineer
Software Design Engineer
A basic understanding of web development
A basic understanding of C# and object oriented programming
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)