The University of Groningen, University of Cambridge and UMCG are offering free Online Course on Young People and their Mental Health. This course has been created for young people aged over 14 wanting to know more about mental health.
Applicants will learn to recognise, prevent and deal with your mental health problems. The course will start on January 15, 2018.
Course At Glance
Length: 3 weeks
Effort: 2 hours/week
Subject: Young People and their Mental Health
Institution: University of Groningen, University of Cambridge, UMCG and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on January 15, 2018
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, in the north of the Netherlands.
The University of Cambridge contributes to society through the pursuit of excellent education, learning, and research.
UMCG is building the future of health through its focus on complex patient care, research, education and training.
About This Course
Mental health problems often develop during the teenage period. As many as 1 out of 5 teenagers are dealing with these problems. Therefore, it is important that you know how to recognise common mental health problems, know how they arise, what you can do to prevent them and what you should do when you actually suffer from them. This course, designed specifically for young people, will help you find out more.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Identify symptoms describing the following mental health problems: eating disorders, depression, anxiety, autism, ADHD, substance abuse, antisocial behavior and psychosis.
- Explain that there are no clear-cut boundaries between mentally disordered and mentally healthy individuals.
- Describe the personal, environmental and genetic causes of mental health problems.
- Describe ways to deal with mental health problems.
This course has been created for young people aged over 14 wanting to know more about mental health. It might also be of interest to parents, caregivers, teachers and medical professionals.
Postdoc at the University Medical Center Groningen; Coordinator of this MOOC about mental health for young people
Professor at the University Medical Center Groningen; director of a large longitudinal study about adolescent mental health (TRAILS); editor of the Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).