The University of Adelaide is offering free online course on Programming for Data Science. This course will test your knowledge and skills in solving small-scale data science problems working with real-world datasets and develop your understanding of big data in the world around you.
In this 10 week course, applicants will learn how to apply fundamental programming concepts, computational thinking and data analysis techniques to solve real-world data science problems. The course will start on May 15, 2017.
Course At A Glance
Length: 10 weeks
Effort: 8-10 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: University of Adelaide and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $150
Session: Course Starts on May 15, 2017-Self-Paced
The University of Adelaide is one of Australia’s leading research-intensive universities and is consistently ranked among the top 1% of universities in the world. Established in 1874, it is Australia’s third oldest university and has a strong reputation for excellence in research and teaching. The University is known for its dedication to the discovery of new knowledge and preparing the educated leaders of tomorrow. It has over 100 Rhodes Scholars, including Australia’s first Indigenous winner, and five Nobel Laureates among its alumni community. Currently there are more than 25,000 students from over 90 countries.
About This Course
Technology is used by millions of us every day, but do we understand how the technology we use actually works?
While being able to use a computer or digital device is useful in our modern world, this course, part of the Big Data MicroMasters program, will help you understand how digital technologies work and will develop your coding skills.
This course will test your knowledge and skills in solving small-scale data science problems working with real-world datasets and develop your understanding of big data in the world around you.
Why Take This Course?
You will learn algorithm design as well as fundamental programming concepts such as data, selection, iteration and functional decomposition, data abstraction and organisation.
- Skills and understanding of computational thinking
- Understand and apply introductory programming concepts such as sequencing, iteration and selection
- How to analyse data and perform simple data visualisations using ProcessingJS
- Equip you to study computer science or other programming languages
Dr. Katrina Falkner
Head – School of Computer Science, University of Adelaide
Dr. Nick Falkner
Associate Professor, School of Computer Science, University of Adelaide
Dr. Claudia Szabo
Senior Lecturer, School of Computer Science, University of Adelaide
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)