How to Write Scholarship Recommendation Letter-Tips
For students, requesting a professor/ lecturer to write a scholarship recommendation letter could be a confusing task as its important piece of paper for them as person writing it should be able to provide genuine assessment of student’s skills and achievements.
From professors’ view-point, writing scholarship letter could be a daunting task as well; as they could be writing same sort of letters for other students and chances are they aren’t really familiar with every student and their skills and achievements all that well.
A recommendation letter written by a faculty supports student and could help him/her get the scholarship s/he need. So it’s important that you are familiar with the student and his/her skills and abilities before you agree or start writing scholarship letter for them.
Most importantly, if you can’t see yourself vouching for the student requesting the recommendation letter from you, then direct the student in direction of person who’d be appropriate for the task.
Tips on How to Write Scholarship Recommendation Letter:
- Gather information: There’s no point in agreeing to write a recommendation and doing a lousy job as the whole idea behind this exercise is to get student noticed with your strong recommendation. And you can do that only if you know all the important information regarding the student. So when you agree to write scholarship letter, don’t forget to ask some questions. Some general ones are mentioned below:
-For what scholarship you are applying for?
-What skills do you think you’ve that sets you apart from other applicants?
-By when the letter is needed and to whom it should be addressed to?
-Are there any other specific skills you have that needed to be mentioned/emphasized in the letter?
Other than this, do ask student to provide you with his/her detailed resume, transcript, admission essay, list of accomplishments and copies of projects submitted along with scholarship description.
- Provide Information In An Impressive Manner: If you know the student asking for recommendation letter, then writing one won’t be a daunting task for you as you would be able to accurately depict him/her. However, even if you don’t know the student well and have agreed to write recommendation letter then study all the information provided by him/her carefully. And only then write in manner that would show you knew him/her well enough to recommend.
Besides providing academic scores, try to give detailed account of student’s passion for the chosen subject, intellect, character, his/her goal for future, contributions in the class, social skills and relations with other students and professors.
- The final Paragraph: In the final paragraph of the letter, you should provide your overall assessment of student’s potential to fulfill the qualifications of the scholarship program. You can also address some of the weakness along with strengths of your student, but be very tactful as writing a good scholarship recommendation letter is a huge responsibly.
How Students Requesting For Scholarship Recommendation Letter Should Act:
- First and foremost, you should be careful in picking the person who’d write a scholarship recommendation letter for you. Remember, not anyone will do, you should pick someone who knows you well and can vouch for you.
- Secondly, you should show upfront how thankful you are that the person is taking time to write a recommendation letter for you.
- Thirdly, make sure you make a list of all points that you think should be included in the recommendation letter and hand it over to the person writing it.
- Lastly, don’t forget to thank the person again for being kind enough to write a scholarship recommendation letter for you.
Important: Scholarship-Positions.com is not responsible for the content of any external websites linked to or referenced on this site.
- Africa Scholarships
- Australia Scholarships
- Austria Scholarships
- Belgium Scholarships
- Canada Scholarships
- China Scholarships
- Denmark Scholarships
- France Scholarships
- Germany Scholarships
- Germany Postdoctoral
- India Scholarships
- Iran Scholarships
- Italy Scholarships
- Japan Scholarships
- New Zealand
Recent Blog Posts
Scholarships for Developing Countries
Useful LinksAmerican Scholarships
Search in Worldwide Universities
Oxford Laboratory Technology
Search Courses in Indian Universities
IndiaJobs.co.in, India Jobs Employment, Recruitment, Careers, Interview
Teaching, Professor Jobs in India
GRE Prep and Free Courses