The University of Maryland is offering free online course on Instructional Design: Digital Media, New Tools and Technology. This course requires basic experience in word processing and G Suite.
In this eight week course, applicants will explore the design, development and use of digital media and emerging technologies to support online teaching and learning. This course will start on January 15, 2018.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 4-6 hours pw
Subject: Education & Teacher Training
Institution: University of Maryland and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $199
Session: Course Starts on January 15, 2018
University System of Maryland
The USM consists of three Research Universities, three Historically Black Institutions, four Traditional Comprehensive Institutions, two Regional Education Centers; one Specialized Research institution, and one “Virtual” Institution specializing in online and distance education, and a system office.
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) specializes in educating busy professionals like you. We are a public state university offering career-relevant, affordable education that fits your life.
About This Course
Instructional designers today have a tremendous number of tools and resources available to them to create highly engaging courses. Social media, digital video, and freely available online instructional resources and applications connect and engage people in new and exciting ways. When creating online learning experiences, instructional designers integrate and infuse these digital tools and digital content in ways that engage and connect learners to course content.
Why Take This Course?
In this education and teacher training course, part of the Instructional Design and Technology Micro Masters Program, you will explore the design, development, and integration of digital media to enhance the learning experience and investigate how media, emerging and mobile tools, and online applications impact technology-mediated learning environments.
- How to design and use instructional materials to enhance online teaching and learning
- Curriculum design techniques to develop technology-enhanced learning experiences
- How to engage stakeholders to collaborate, design and evaluate learning experiences and programs
Randy is a collegiate professor and program chair at the University of Maryland University College where he leads two master’s programs; the MS in Learning Design & Technology is developing the next generation of Learning Designers to create personalized online learning experiences, and the MEd in Instructional Technology – an International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Nationally Recognized Instructional Technology program.
Eli Collins-Brown is an instructional developer, designer, technologist, instructor and leader.
Basic experience in word processing and G Suite. A background in teaching, education, or professional development would be helpful but not required.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)